Thursday, October 31, 2019

I'm happy to report that Phoenix is now slightly cooler than the surface of the sun. In fact it's reached the point that I need to wear socks in the house and have put the summer weight duvet on the bed. It's also weather that calls for warm food.



I've been making a really nice curried roast butternut squash soup with corn & wild rice for several years. However, I needed a slightly lower carb option. This is what happened.



Chicken & winter squash curry

1/2 dozen or so chicken thighs - boneless, skinless, cut into chunks, tossed in the spice mix and browned

A couple of leeks -- sliced into rings

A chunk of ginger -- chopped finely

A handful of garlic -- chopped finely

1 carnival squash -- roasted, then peeled, de-seeded, and cut into chunks

A couple of cups of chicken stock (I probably used about 1/2 cup too much)

Curry spice of your choice. I used National Keema Mix

Chuck it all in the crockpot, deglaze the pan you browned the chicken in with some of the stock.

Let it do its thing for 3 hours or so on high.

The squash had essentially become a puree and thickened the sauce. It was pleasantly spicy, with a little sweetness from the squash.

I used a bit too much stock, so I had to eat it from a bowl with a spoon (Oh! No!) My sinuses have been cleared into the middle of next week. And best of all -- there's about 3 more portions!

I've been making good progress on my new socks. I turned the heel yesterday. I'm loving the colours, they're very warm and seasonal.


No comments:

Post a Comment